Wednesday, January 22, 2014

DIY Yoga Mat Bag


I have been looking at all these cute pictures of some super cute yoga mat bags, but being as cheap as I am I didn't want to be shelling out $30+ on a bag that will only house my yoga mat. So I set out one morning to make my own bag. I used fabric that I had stashed away in my office (my office is a plethora of random craft supplies. It amazes me some times at the amount of different things I just happen to have). Now, I must warn you, I am not a professional seamstress. I have never made a bag before. I honestly, just winged it. So please forgive the lack of pictures and the poor instructions. I really thought that it was not going to come out as well as it did. I will attempt to make another bag, I promise I will take more pictures and make better instructions! But, for now, this will have to do. 

Instructions:
  • grab your yoga mat and measure around. I added like 5 extra inches. I didn't want it to be too tight around the mat. 
  • measure the length of your mat. I added like 5 extra inches. I wanted room to possibly put my wallet and or keys in there
  • now take your measurements and cut your fabric. 
  • now, for the circle end pieces. I used a gallon jug as my template, it just so happened to be the perfect size! Cut out two pieces.
  • now take a long piece of fabric or your measuring tape and drape it across your chest cross wise, the way you would want your bag to hang, take note of the measurement and cut your piece of fabric that length plus about 2 inches. I didn't want a too wide of a strap so I cut my fabric 6 inches wide. 
  • now fold the fabric length wise, with the sides facing in. Sew the two sides together. 
  • now you have your strap inside out. So, be patient and turn it inside out. 
  • press it down so the seem is in the center and iron it down. bam, you have a strap!
  • sew your rectangle fabric and your circles together. before you close up the circles sew in your handle strap
  • now, I used magnetic purse clasps. I just followed the instructions on how to put them on that came with their package. You can always sew on some cute ribbon and have that be your closure. 
I sewed on a bow after I finished it. A bow just seemed to scream, "I belong on your bag!", and how could I say no. There you have it. This was my first ever attempt at making a bag of any kind. With no instructions, just looking at pictures and guessing at how it's done. Pretty good, if I say so myself! 



No comments:

Post a Comment