Friday, January 10, 2014

DIY Yoga Mat Cleaner


I have a small confession to make. I don't clean my personal yoga mat I have at home as often as I should. Now you can buy yoga mat cleaners at target or even just use Lysol on your mat. But I am a little cheap. I recently saw at Target the other day a small package of  10 yoga mat wipes for about $20. So, when I decided to look up a simple recipe on how to make your own simple yoga mat cleaner for pretty cheap I couldn't pass it up. 
Now, now most recipes are basically the same. Feel free to use your own essential oils. 



Materials: 
  • spray bottle of your choice (I used a travel sized bottle I found at Target for a $1)
  • distilled white vinegar (you can use Witch Hazel, not as strong of a scent as vinegar. But, it's a little more expensive.)
  • water
  • Tea Tree Essential Oil (for it's cleaning and disinfectant properties)
  • Lavender Essential Oil (you can use whatever essential oil you like)
  • eye dropper
Directions:
  • fill your spray bottle a 1/3 of the way up with vinegar or Witch Hazel
  • fill the rest of the way up with water
  • using the eye dropper, put about 10 drops of Tea Tree Oil
  • using the eye dropper, put a few drops of your favorite essential oil you like. It depends on how strong you want it to smell.
Breakdown:
  • I bought my Tea Tree Essential Oil at Natural Grocers in Bend for under $4. 
  • Small spray bottle I bought at Target for $1
  • I already had water, lavender essential oil and the eye dropper. 
So for $5 I made myself a good smelling yoga mat cleaner that will last me a lot more than 10 uses and that I can refill (you will have plenty of essential oils left over to make refills!)

Use it to wipe down your mat after each use. Or you can lightly spray your mat and let it air dry after each use. 





No comments:

Post a Comment